- "The Trickster represents the quality of randomness and chance in the universe, without which there could be no freedom. (...) The cosmos is interesting rather than perfect, and everything is not part of some greater plan, nor is all necessarily under control. "
- ― Starhawk, in The Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Goddess (1979), p. 231
- "The trickster, the riddler, the keeper of balance, he of the many faces who finds life in death and who fears no evil; he who walks through doors."
- ― Christopher Paolini, in Brisingr (2008)
- "I'll kick them in the bollocks and spit on them when they're down, and then I'll be gone back into the darkness, leaving only a nod and a wink and a wisecrack."
- ― John Constantine (DC/Vertigo Comics)
The power of character who plays tricks or otherwise disobeys normal rules and conventional behavior.
- Manipulative Charisma
- Master Manipulator
- Mischief Mastery
- Supreme Con Man
- The Cunning One
- The One Who Lurks in The Shadows
- Topnotch Actor
- Ultimate Grifter
User is a Trickster: a god, goddess, spirit, man, woman, or anthropomorphic animal who plays tricks or otherwise disobeys normal rules and conventional behavior. The Trickster openly questions and mocks authority, encourages impulse and enthusiasm, seeks out new ideas and experiences, destroys convention and complacency, and promotes chaos and unrest. At the same time, the trickster brings new knowledge and wisdom. Even when punished horribly for their effrontery, their indomitable spirit (or sheer foolishness) keeps them coming back for more.
Tricksters can be anything from gods of chaos, bedeviling heroes for a few laughs, to master manipulators who use cruel ploys and sadistic choices. They can also be heroes (or more likely anti-heroes) who make up for a lack of strength or bravery with manipulation, planning, or outright cheating. The trickster is often a master of disguise and may have magical powers.
In mythology and religion, the trickster deities break the rules of the gods or nature, sometimes maliciously but usually (albeit unintentionally) with ultimately positive effects. Often, the bending/breaking of rules takes the form of tricks or thievery. Tricksters can be cunning or foolish or both; they are often funny even when considered sacred or performing important cultural tasks.
- Combat Perception
- Escape Artistry
- Enhanced Condition
- Enhanced Gambling
- Enhanced Thievery
- Indomitable Will
- Magicians Intuition
- Psychological Intuition
- Tactical Analysis
- Trapping Intuition
Powerful Tricksters can reach nearly or even fully divine status:
- Absolute Unpredictability
- Chaos Manipulation
- Fraud Empowerment
- Illusion Manipulation/Absolute Illusion
- Intuitive Aptitude
- Lie Manipulation
- Nigh Omniscience
- Probability Manipulation
- Reality Warping
- Rule Bending/Cheating
- Supernatural Condition
- Supernatural/Absolute Gambling
- Supernatural/Absolute Thievery
- Tactical Genius
- Their very nature makes Tricksters unable to stay away from trouble.
- Since some tricksters are physically weak, they are limited to outsmarting the opponent by using tricks to win.
- May be unable to trick those with Reality Perception.
- People may find the user untrustworthy due to their nature of causing mischief and manipulating others.