The user can absorb effects of spells and/or spells themselves, while removing it from the source, into their body and use it in various ways, gaining some form of advantage, either by enhancing themselves, gaining the drained power, using it as power source etc., either temporarily or permanently.
- Elemental Resistance/Elemental Immunity - by absorbing elemental spells.
- Enhanced Durability/Invulnerability - by absorbing spells that do physical damage.
- Spell Negation - only to spells cast on the user.
- Teleportation Negation - by absorbing spells that are meant to teleport the user to another location.
- May be limited to how much one can absorb.
- May have limited range, including touch only.
- Spells that can cause instant death may still be able to get through the users' defense, if they are not totally immune.
- May include Healing spells.
- The Warring Triad (Final Fantasy)
- Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII)
- Quistis Trepe (Final Fantasy VIII)
- Spellfire Wielders (Forgotten Realms)
- Shandril Shessair (Forgotten Realms)
- Siphoners/Vampire-Witches (The Vampire Diaries); via Magical Energy Absorption
- The Heretics
- Kai Parker
- Josie and Lizzie Saltzman
- Touta Konoe (UQ Holder)
- Bellanax (Arkwell Academy)