- "Though some might say there is not much point to turning the earth into one gigantic graveyard, these people are fools and will never understand anyway."
- ― Neil Zawacki, How to be a Villain
- "The dead make good soldiers. They can't disobey orders, never surrender, and don't stop fighting when a random body part falls off."
- ― Nevinyrral, "Necromancer's Handbook", Magic: The Gathering
- Black/Dark Animancy
- Necro Magic
- Undeath Magic
The user's magical abilities revolve around manipulating the dead, death, the death-force and/or souls for good (i.e., resurrecting the dead), evil (in various ways) or neither. Users can also use communicate with the deceased – either by summoning their spirit as an apparition or raising them bodily – for the purpose of divination, imparting the means to foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge.
Many practitioners find a way to cheat death one way or another, whether by becoming some form of undead creature or by bypassing their own ability to die.
- Aura Absorption
- Conjuration - deceased souls and/or corpses
- Death Inducement
- Death Magic
- Death Sense
- Divination - by contacting dead/undead beings
- Ectoplasm Manipulation
- Life-Force Absorption
- Mold Manipulation - dead matter
- Motor-Skill Manipulation - dead/undead beings
- Pain Inducement
- Pain Suppression
- Spell Casting
- Spirit Magic
- Undead Manipulation
- Curse Inducement
- Dark Arts
- Death-Force Manipulation
- Death Manipulation
- Death Transcendence
- Grim Reaper Physiology
- Lich Physiology
- Mystical Conversion
- Necroplasmic Conversion
- Nether Magic
- Nether Manipulation
- Rot Inducement
- Spirit Physiology
- Undead Physiology
- Vodou Deity Physiology
- Magic Negation/Magic Destruction
- May be Weak against Animancy and other Life-Based powers.
- Filth Manipulation may be used against this power.
See Also: Necromancer.
- Imperial Arms Yatsufasa (Akame Ga Kill!)
- Book of Shadows (Corpse Party: Book Of Shadows)
- Necronomicon Ex-Mortis (Evil Dead)
- So'unga (Inuyasha)
- Isildur's Ring of Power (Middle-earth: Shadow of War)
- Book of the Dead (The Mummy)
- Black Volume of the Dead (Shadowhunter Chronicles)