- "Magic had been achieved by great mystics from ancient times; whether miracles brought forth by ‘Gods’, demonic power of ‘Devils, or else original theories on supernatural phenomenon, they were all things that could be reproduced through formulas. All phenomenon have fixed laws, which can be measured, calculated, and their manifestation derived through ‘magic’""
- ― Lavinia Reni (Highschool DxD)
- "Through the mystic arts, we harness energy and shape reality."
- ― The Ancient One (Marvel Cinematic Universe)
- "The power of influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces."
- ― Definition of Magic, Online Dictionary
The ability to use paranormal methods to manipulate supernatural forces. Those who possess this ability are known (among other things) as Magicians, Wizards, Warlocks, Sorcerers, Mages, Witches, etc.. Opposite to Science Manipulation and Anti-Magic.
- Magic Manipulation
- Magical Manipulation
- The Arcane/Magical/Mystic/Mystical Arts
- The Art Of Magic
- The Indistinguishable Science
The user has access to magic, the use of rituals, symbols, actions, gestures, language, etc., to exploit supernatural forces to varying degrees, with only their skill, personal power-level, imagination/knowledge, and/or morality to define the borders. Given the flexibility of magic, its users have essentially limitless possibilities for what they can accomplish.
Some examples of the potential use of magic:
- Elemental Manipulation
- Magic Aura
- Magic Detection
- Magic Generation
- Magic Invisibility
- Magic Portal Creation
- Magic Replication
- Magical Communication
- Magical Constructs
- Magical Energy Manipulation
- Magical Flight
- Magical Medicine Manipulation
- Magical Telekinesis
- Magically Enhanced Physiology
- Personal Domain
- Reality Warping
- Spell Casting
- Supernatural Properties Manipulation
- Sympathetic Magic
Magical Energy Manipulation: The key power that allows one to use Magic; the powers are based around certain concepts/categories.
- Abjuration: The power to protect/heal.
- Enchantment: The power to influence the minds/emotions.
- Illusion: The power to create illusions.
- Nature: The power to control the forces of the natural world for a variety of effects.
- Necromancy: The power to manipulate the forces of death.
- Transmutation: The power to transform living or non-living things.
Types of Magic
A to L
M to Z
- Adaptive Magic
- Aether Manipulation
- Cosmic Manipulation
- Esoteric Energy Manipulation
- Fiction Manipulation
- Imagination Manipulation
- Magic Adaptation
- Magic Bestowal
- Magic Creation
- Magic Destruction
- Magic Intuition
- Magic Lordship
- Magic Transcendence
- Magic Unification
- Magic Weaponry
- Miracle Manipulation
- Mystic Derivation
- Mystic Object
- Mystical Bardsmanship
- Mystical Blood
- Mystical Martial Arts
- Nether Manipulation
- Phenomenon Manipulation
- Powerful Objects
- Ritual Empowerment
- Science-Magic Mixture
- Supernatural Manipulation
- Alien Mage Physiology
- Angelic Sorcerer Physiology
- Bionic Mage Physiology
- Demon Sorcerer Physiology
- Hag Physiology
- Homo Magi Physiology
- Homo Magi Superior Physiology
- Lich Physiology
- Mage Lord Physiology
- Magical Entity Physiology
- Mystic Dragon Physiology
- Mystic Vampire Physiology
- Mystic Werewolf Physiology
- Mystical Conversion
- Mystical Mutation
- Mythic Physiology
- Transcendent Mage Physiology
- Transcendent Superhuman Mage Physiology
- Some universes have limits for what they can do or substances that they can't affect.
- Who can use magic varies between universes.
- How one gains magic varies greatly.
- Magic and science may be the same thing or two completely different and unrelated forces.
- How magic and technology react to each other varies greatly.
- There is always a price. Always.
- Always make sure you know what the price is, it will come back to haunt you.
- It will be paid, one way or another.
- The price can range from something as insignificant as the magical energy required to activate your magic, a part of your sanity, or even something devastating, like your own life, or worse.
- The insignificance of magical energy may vary based on its source and availability.
- Magic is balance, meaning the benefits it provides may result in consequences to offset it.
- Magic may be needed to defeat magic.
- Stronger magics will overcome weaker ones.
- Magic Resistance may foil your plans.
- Magic often drains a person's stamina or mana.
- Naturally, stronger magic puts a much greater strain.
- Magic is unpredictable, if one gets too creative or is interrupted in a crucial moment. Results range from amusing to annoying, but correctable, to destructive to lethal, to catastrophic to apocalyptic.
- Without the knowledge or proper skill, the intended use of a spell can create unpredictable or potentially dangerous results.
- There may be some side effects to using a certain type magic or spells.
- Society with knowledge about magic is likely to have rules/laws about its use, and areas of magic that are forbidden.
- In some societies, magic may be limited to a specific class or status.
- User may be unable to use spells that are beyond their imagination.
- Using magic may take concentration, focus and mental strength.
- May react disastrously with Science Manipulation.
- May disrupt/cancel out technology.
- May need to perform certain actions/fulfill conditions to use magic, ranging from specific words/songs, certain hand/body moves, materials that may be consumed or even extensive rituals.
Known Kinds of Magic