Madame Xanadu (DC Comics) uses divination to predict the future
gain insight using occultic ritual.
- Fortune Telling
- Omen Reading
User can employ divination, a method of reading the future, the present and the past and/or provide help to a problem at hand by using an occultic, standardized process or ritual. Divination can be achieved by communicating with the supernatural (i.e. gods, demons, spirits, nymphs) or just by reading certain patterns.
See also: Methods of divination
- Acultomancy - form of divination in which the user uses needles for divination.
- Agalmatomancy - form of divination by the means of statues or teraphim for divination.
- Aichmomancy - form of divination by using sharp objects for divination.
- Astromancy - form of divination in which the user interprets the future through the movement of celestial bodies in certain houses which is believed to affect the future.
- Bibliomancy - form of divination using books in divination or for advice. The method of employing sacred books (especially specific words and verses) for 'magical medicine', for removing negative entities, or for divination is widespread in many religions of the world.
- Catoptromancy - form of divination in which the user uses mirrors for divination.
- Cartomancy - form of divination in which the user uses cards for divination.
- Crystallomancy - form of divination in which the user uses crystals for divination.
- Elementomancy - form of divination in which the user uses the elements for divination.
- Aeromancy - form of divination in which the user interprets and reads the future through atmospheric conditions (i.e. cloud formations, wind currents, comets, thunder and lightning). It was said to be one of the seven "forbidden arts" along with geomancy, hydromancy, pyromancy, palmistry, necromancy and scapulimancy (the divination of the bones).
- Abacomancy - form of divination in which the user uses the patterns in dust, dirt, silt and sand for divination.
- Necromancy - form of divination by speaking to the dead using corpses as conduit.
- Numeromancy - form of divination in which the user uses the numbers for divination.
- Oneiromancy - form of divination in which the user uses the dreams for divination.
- Scrying - reading the future or obtain spiritual visions through translucent or luminescent objects. Sub-methods include crystallomancy/crystal gazing and pyromancy/fire reading.
- Somatomancy - a form of divination in which the user reads an individual's palm to see their past, present and future.
- Tasseomancy - form of divination in which the user uses tea leaves for divination.
- All methods take time and space for the ritual.
- The user may require supernatural aid to correctly predict the future.
- No one can confirm if the prediction is true or false.
- Most methods need specific items (i.e. bibliomancy requires a book while I Ching requires many things).