- "Ideals? Don't make me laugh. There are no ideals in this world. We're all left with only one thing: the despair of not being able to make those ideals come true. But I've now discovered that despair releases my true power. Despair is the force that breaks my shackles and frees my heart to do as it truly wishes!"
- ― Kōga Kuchiki (Bleach)
- Despair Affinity
Users become stronger, faster, more durable, etc. by despair of oneself and others, possibly unlocking abilities related to the affinity and enhancing the existing powers. Some users may be able draw sustenance from the despair or even slow or stop aging.
- Decelerated Aging/Semi-Immortality
- Emotion Metabolization
- Enhanced Condition or Supernatural Condition
- Self-Power Augmentation
- Absorbing too much despair may cause the user to lose all motivation.
- Kōga Kuchiki (Bleach)
- Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc)
- Shinnō (Naruto)
- Tridart the Despair (W.I.T.C.H.)
- Lestion (Yumekui Merry)
- Witches (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
- H.N. Elly (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
- Oktavia von Seckendorff (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
- Walpurgisnacht (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
- Virginia (Puella Magi Oriko Magica)
- Banshees (Charmed)