- "I have seen the night torn into thin darkling strips and woven into shapes too bleak for dreams."
- ― Crovax, Strands of Night, Magic: The Gathering
- "It shall begin soon... Darkness will pour forth from the doors of hell... a darkness to swallow all the world's light."
- ― Mard Geer Tartaros (Fairy Tail)
- "What's the matter!? Afraid of the dark!?"
- ― Raven, Teen Titans
The power to manipulate darkness/shadows. Opposite to Light Manipulation.
- Blackness Control/Manipulation
- Darkness/Shadow Element Control
- Darkness Control
- Shadow Bending/Control/Manipulation
User can create, shape and manipulate darkness and shadows. By itself, darkness is mostly used to cloud everything into total darkness, but by accessing a dimension of dark energy it can be channeled to a variety of effects, both as an absence of light and a solid substance: one can also control and manipulate the beings that exist there, create and dispel shields and areas of total darkness, create constructs and weapons, teleport one's self through massive distances via shadows, etc.
- Animated Shadow
- Create/generate darkness/shadow.
- Darkness Adaptation
- Darkness Attacks
- Darkness Solidification
- Manipulate the properties of darkness/shadows.
- Move/lift darkness/shadows.
- Shadow Erasure
- Shadow Marionette
- Dark Portal Creation/Umbrageous Teleportation using darkness/shadow by understanding the fundamental connection all shadows/darkness share.
- Darkness Aura
- Darkness Empowerment
- Darkness Healing
- Darkness Transmutation
- Shadow Mimicry
- Shadow Mutilation
- Shadow Stealth
- Shadow Swimming
- Umbrakinetic Combat
- Umbrakinetic Regeneration
- Dark Energy Manipulation
- Dark World Manipulation
- Diabolic Darkness Manipulation
- Conceptual Darkness Manipulation
- Esoteric Darkness Manipulation
- Grim Darkness Manipulation
- Life Darkness Manipulation
- Primordial Darkness Manipulation
- Psychic Darkness Manipulation
- Pure Darkness Manipulation
- Sacred Darkness Manipulation
- Spiritual Darkness Manipulation
- Shadow Magic
- Cosmic Space Manipulation
- Dark Element Manipulation by tapping into the dark aspect of the elements.
- Dark Form
- Darkness Embodiment
- Darkside View by manipulating the dark corners of one's mind and soul.
- Mental Manipulation by learning to control dark corners of mind and soul.
- Death Shadow
- Fear Inducement - Fear is often associated with darkness.
- Freezing as darkness is absence of light, so cold is the absence of heat.
- Ink Manipulation - black ink.
- Gravity Manipulation by using darkness in a way that it gains the power of a Black Hole.
- If user also has Light Manipulation, they could learn Twilight Manipulation.
- Light-Darkness Manipulation
- Lunar Manipulation
- Night Embodiment
- Twilight Manipulation when combined with Light Manipulation.
- Umbrakinetic Immunity
- May be unable to create darkness/shadow, being limited to manipulating only from already existing sources.
- May have to be in sync with darkness, whether their own or the source of their power.
- May become affected/corrupted through extended exposure.
- Distance, mass, precision, etc. depend upon of the knowledge, skill, and strength of the user, and their power's natural limits.
- Light Manipulation and Light Generation are especially effective against this power.
- As shadow is a dark area produced by a body coming between rays of light and a surface, light may strengthen shadow magic or may even be a requirement in some universes.
- Umbrakinetic Immunity.
See Also: Casting a Shadow.
- Night Reflection (Highschool DxD)
- Beelzebub (Date A Live)
- The Kanohi Kraahkan (BIONICLE); the Great Mask of Shadows
- Kage Kage no Mi (One Piece)
- Yami Yami no Mi (One Piece)